Hello Guest !!! Welcome to LearnCAx community forum. All the forums are open for view to everyone. If you wish to participate in any discussion or ask question, login using your LearnCAx account. If you are new to LearnCAx, create your FREE LearnCAx account now !!

Login

Create FREE LearnCAx Account Now !!

QUESTION: Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #31

• Vijay Mali
  • M.Tech. (Aerodyanamics) IIT Bombay
  • Thanks received : 96
  • Upvotes : 16
Hi Manish,

There is something wrong with mesh. Why the elements are getting out of the domain ? Have you done build topology and checked if all connections are good ?

May be for now just focus on doing simulation for one pipe (with thickness material)

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Vijay Mali.
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #32

sorry for the delay as my net was down for the last 5 days i did the build topology part the geometry i got is as shown in the image, if it is proper why the meshing is going out pls. help.

1442333712_203.194.97.17.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Vijay Mali.
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #33

• Vijay Mali
Hi Manish,

I am not sure why the mesh is going out of domain. There might be some geometry part out of your domain of interest, there might be the problem projecting the mesh on your geometry, there might be problem of mesh sizes provided on the surfaces. So many reasons for this to happen.

I suggest you to focus on one tube section first. Get it right and then you may think of including all tubes. I have also mentioned before that you need to re-think about how you are modeling this problem. Even if you get the mesh on this geometry, I am not sure what results you will be getting. There is line contact between absorber plate and tube. So you will not have any real heat transfer between them. So re-think about your modeling approach.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #34

I know that total conduction is not possible so I am considering both radiation and convection effect so I have found the values of ' h & €' also. Please tell me how to go forward with it. And if I do not consider volume for header pipes and plate and consider it as thin plate only will it cause any possible. I have seen some journal papers where it been done but the boundary conditions they have not told or not defined in the papers. If u say I can send u the papers also.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #35

• Vijay Mali
Hi Manish,

The heat is collected by the absorber plate. So might have calculated "How much ?" by some method. But the problem is that this heat needs to be propagated to water. What is the way you are planing to transfer this heat from absober to water inside tube.

There is way that you can consider pipe and plate as thin surfaces ( zero thickness walls). You can just model them zero thickness wall and when you do setup in ANSYS FLUENT, you can provide the thickness and material properties. This approach is called as "Shell Conduction".

Please share the papers. Lets see what they have modeled this problem.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #36

the heat absorbed by the absorber plate is 800 W/m2 . the papers are attached below

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 3 months ago #37

three more paper are attached and i given name of two more papers which i was not able to attachment as they increase size to about 4 mb.
1) Analysis of Flow and Heat Transfer in a Flat Solar Collector with Rectangular and Cylindrical Geometry Using CFD by Marroquín-De Jesús Ángel
2) Heat transfer and fluid flow analysis of solar airheater :A review of CFD approach
Anil SinghYadav ,

J.L.Bhagoria

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 2 months ago #38

I have done the meshing of geometry by changing mesh size with 3 layer prism mesh and have checked the file in FLUENT it is been easily read with no error. Please help me sir with the boundary condition that is which condition to be applied at which points.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 2 months ago #39

Please help with setting the boundary conditions in FLUENT bcoz I have completed the meshing part of my geometry. I want to ask is it OK to go through the meshing if there r pyramids formed. Bcoz my second geometry always have pyramids after meshing but they very less I.e 68 to 85 in total while the total elements formed where 5.6 CR. What to do for such cases.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 3 years 2 months ago #40

• Vijay Mali
Hi Manish,

Fundamentally it should be OK. It all depends on what is the location of those pyramids. You can try setting up the problem and see it's giving any trouble converging the solution.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: MANISH MISHRA

Browse Knowledge Base

Recommended By

Get Instant Updates

Subscribe to get instant updates about CFD courses, projects, blogs, webinars, software tutorials & CFD jobs

Search Knowledge Base

By Keyword

By Author

By Tag