Hello Guest !!! Welcome to LearnCAx community forum. All the forums are open for view to everyone. If you wish to participate in any discussion or ask question, login using your LearnCAx account. If you are new to LearnCAx, create your FREE LearnCAx account now !!

Login

Create FREE LearnCAx Account Now !!

QUESTION: Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #1

I ahve meshed my model in ICEM CFD and having problem in defining the boundary conditions in Fluent so please help regarding how to define the boundary condition for a solar collector which's image i have given below.
IMG_20150812_215018-2.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #2

• Vijay Mali
  • M.Tech. (Aerodyanamics) IIT Bombay
  • Thanks received : 96
  • Upvotes : 16
Hi Manish,

I am not really sure what is that you are trying to model in ANSYS FLUENT. Could you please explain what problem you are trying to solve ? What boundary condition you are trying to apply ? What is the complete domain ?

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #3

I have designed a solar collector for drying purpose. I want to find the outlet temperature from the setups. The inlet condition is velocity inlet or mass flow inlet with a value of 50.37m/sec or 0.01126 Kg/sec. The outlet is pressure outlet with atmospheric pressure. The constant heat flux on absorber plate is 1300 w/m2 with inlet temperature of 306K. I want to use solar model in Fluent with the latitude and longitude of mumbai on 13 May with the time frame from 8 am to 4 pm.I want to do first steady state analysis then go for transient analysis.in the image the pink colour material is absorber plate while the horizontal ones are the pipes arrangement.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #4

• Vijay Mali
OK. The problem is clear now. Looks simple to setup.

Could you please upload following three views :

1) Top view (showing the solar collector surface)
2) Side view (Showing 2D view - Cross section)
3) Isometric view

This will help me understand more about the domain (geometry you are modeling)

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #5

• raj
  • Thanks received : 2
  • Upvotes : 0
In case of Solar Air Heater modelling....
Inlet condition is 'Velocity Inlet or Mass flow rate'
Outlet condition is 'Pressure outlet'
Bottom wall(Aluminium material) condition may be 'Heat flux or constant temperature'
Top wall may be 'Insulated or depending on problem'
&
Interior is 'Air or depending on problem'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vijay Mali, MANISH MISHRA

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #6

• Vijay Mali
Hi Raj,

Thanks for such "to the point" answer. I am guessing that when you say "Bottom Wall", its the wall exposed to sun radiation and when you say "Top Wall" you mean to say opposite to sun radiation !!

We are still waiting for Manish to put some images of his domain so that we can identify whats the problem in defining the boundary condition.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: raj

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #7

Sorry for the delay i have attached
normalarrangement.jpg.gif

sideview.jpg.gif

topview.jpg.gif

viewfrombottom.jpg.gif

viewiso.jpg.gif

the images now

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #8

Thank you for ur suggestion but how to select bottom and top wall for the absorber plate

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #9

I HAVE ATTACHED THE IMAGES AS YOU HAVE ASKED ME ON SATURDAY BUT STILL IT IS NOT SHOWN ON THE FORUM.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #10

• Vijay Mali
Hi Manish,

I am still struggling to understand the geometry. If you have done everything correct (in terms of defining the parts in geometry), you should have top and bottom surface available for assigning the boundary conditions.

Are you using ANSYS ICEMCFD for meshing ? If yes, could you please share the tin file ? Also could you share the sketch (2D) of the domain you are trying to model ?

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #11

Yes i m using ICEM CFD for meshing. I m attaching the tin file of my geometry which i have used which is a simplified one and I m also attaching the main geometry from which i have deleted parts like glass, outer box, insulation for simplification of geometry.
allremesh.tin is the simplified geometry on which I want to apply boundary conditions while the mainboxcomplete.tin is the actual collector which I designed.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #12

THE MAIN BOX ASSEMBLY IS ATTACHED IN .zip FORMAT AS IT WAS NOT ABLE TO BE ATTACHED TO PREVIOUS DUE TO FILE SIZE.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #13

PLEASE HELP IT SHOWS ERROR MESSAGE THAT IT CANNOT BE AATACHED IT HAS EXCEEDED THE SIZE LIMIT SET BY MODERATOR.

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #14

• Vijay Mali
Hi Manish,

I have increased the file size limit to 1 MB. I think you should able to attache the file now. Let me know if you can't.

Just as a note: Avoid using all CAPS letters in the post. Its not really readable !!

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

Solar collector boundary conditions in fluent 2 years 11 months ago #15

I am attaching the .zip file which has two geometry of which allremesh.tin is the model on which I am working while mainboxcomplete.tin is the actual geometry from which I have simplified the geometry for getting fast result.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Browse Knowledge Base

Recommended By

Get Instant Updates

Subscribe to get instant updates about CFD courses, projects, blogs, webinars, software tutorials & CFD jobs

Search Knowledge Base

By Keyword

By Author

By Tag