Hello Guest !!! Welcome to LearnCAx community forum. All the forums are open for view to everyone. If you wish to participate in any discussion or ask question, login using your LearnCAx account. If you are new to LearnCAx, create your FREE LearnCAx account now !!

Login

Create FREE LearnCAx Account Now !!

QUESTION: meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 2 years 8 months ago #31

sir,
i am in a dilemma with selecting the domains of disc rotor. whether i have to take whole model as one part or separate like surface and vane parts.

i am attaching the four wire frame display views.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 2 years 8 months ago #32

• Praveen Kumar
  • Thanks received : 50
  • Upvotes : 10
Location of component:
I am assuming flow is in the positive X direction. In the images, the distance from the component and the outer boundaries look uneven. This needs to be corrected. The size of the domain can be taken as 7.5D (D-Diameter of disk) in front, top, bottom, sides and 15D in the back/wake region.

Orientation of component:
There could be two scenarios in reality:
1) The circular region/surface of the disk is normal to the flow and directly facing the flow.
2) The thickness of the disk is normal to the flow and directly facing the flow.
Assuming flow is in the positive X direction and from the images, it looks like you are considering 2nd scenario for your CFD study. Please cross check or confirm this.

Naming the geometry parts:
Unless the boundary conditions are different, there is no need to create separate parts. For example, if the heat flux is different on two sides of the disk/vanes, then those two sides of the disk needs to be in different parts.

Although it is not necessary, its always better to create separate parts for different features of the model. It helps in assigning different tetra sizes and also in the post processing stage.

Its clearly explained in the last few minutes of our webinar video: CAD Repair for CFD Simulation
Praveen Kumar
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikhil kuttamath

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 2 years 8 months ago #33

sir,
i tried to transform the component to the (0,0,0) position but could not make it possible.
what i have followed is transform geometry only. also how to change the orientation of the component.

Browse Knowledge Base

Recommended By

Get Instant Updates

Subscribe to get instant updates about CFD courses, projects, blogs, webinars, software tutorials & CFD jobs

Search Knowledge Base

By Keyword

By Author

By Tag