Hello Guest !!! Welcome to LearnCAx community forum. All the forums are open for view to everyone. If you wish to participate in any discussion or ask question, login using your LearnCAx account. If you are new to LearnCAx, create your FREE LearnCAx account now !!

Login

Create FREE LearnCAx Account Now !!

QUESTION: meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #1

I would like to know about the meshing of Ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD. Please help me..I am unaware of ICEM CFD. I am planned to do meshing in ICEM CFD and solving and post processing in ANSYS FLUENT. FLUENT I have studied. which meshing is better tetra/hexa??...or meshing in wall and surface to be different...help me sir.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Vijay Mali.
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #2

• Vijay Mali
  • M.Tech. (Aerodyanamics) IIT Bombay
  • Thanks received : 96
  • Upvotes : 16
Hi Nikhil,

There are so many questions in your one post. I strongly suggest you to ask questions one-by-one so that we answers would be useful to you.

You have not shared any geometrical details about the ventilated disc brake. Please post few of the images.

Good plan that you are planing to mesh this in ANSYS ICEMCFD :). But you need to learn how to do meshing in ANSYS ICEMCFD. I hope you have subscribed for the course "CFD Meshing with ANSYS ICEM CFD". If not, please subscribe to the course and start learning it. I am very sure that you would able to mesh the geometry of ventilated disc once you learn ANSYS ICEMCFD correctly.

Tetra/hexa ? Which meshing is good ? I guess you are asking a famous question which most of the CFD engineers (or at-least beginners) asks. Hexa is good for quality of results as compared to tetra. But this is just a statement and there are many other factors of hexa and tetra which decided which is good. A well designed tertra + prism mesh can give good results as compared to bad quality hexa. A refined tetra can give as accurate results as tetra. So in-general, it is advised to create hexa, but most of the industrial cases, its not possible to generate hexa. Thats because of complexity of geometry or because of the available time. Its really time consuming ( and requires good expertise) to generate hexa for complex geometries. I am not sure what geometry you have, but I think, you should start with tetra + prism and if time permits go for hexa.

Meshing in wall and surface to be different ? I am not sure what you are asking here. Walls are made of surfaces. Help me understand this question.

As I said at the beginning, please post one question at time so that we can focus on that question and you can really use the answer.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Vijay Mali.
The administrator has disabled public write access. Please login with LearnCAx account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akshay Vaishnav, nikhil kuttamath

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #3

straight vane rotor. please see the attached model figure.

images.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Vijay Mali.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #4

hello,
how can i get the max size,mini size for part mesh parameters during tetra meshing for ventilated disc brake.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #5

• Vijay Mali
Hi Nikhil,

Nothing is clear from the image you shared. Do you have a geometry created in ANSYS ICEMCFD ? If you have not created the geometry, I would suggest to first create the geometry.

I am not sure if I should ask this question, but I feel its appropriate. Have you done course on ANSYS ICEMCFD which I suggested before. We need to know "How much knowledge you have about the software ?" so that we can guide you correctly.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #6

hello,
i went through the course that you have recommended.Confusion is at the stage of part geometry parameters.i have to mention the part's max,min sizes there no?....here i am attaching the geometry model in STEP file format.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #7

• Vijay Mali
Hi Nikhil,

The STEP file upload was not allowed. So your file was not uploaded. I have added that in configuration now. You can upload the STEP file again. We allow maximum 1 MB file size. I hope that size of file you are trying to upload is below 1 MB.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 2 weeks ago #8

hello Vijay sir,

here the attachment in gif format.please consider sir.

screen.gif.gif
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Vijay Mali.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #9

• Vijay Mali
Hi Nikhil,

Now I got some visibility about the geometry. Could you please post the tin file of that geometry. I hope the file size is not more than 1 MB.

Also let me know what are the difficulties you are facing ? Are they at meshing stage ?

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #10

how to reduce the size of a tin file(current 8MB)...

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #11

• Vijay Mali
Hi Nikhil,

There is a way, but explaining that will take few more posts here :)
Upload the file to some file sharing website (like dropbox) and post link here. We will download the file from there.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikhil kuttamath

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #12

www.dropbox.com/s/f1a37ocnpi3tb7t/2.tin?dl=0

sir,
this is the atachment of tin file

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #13

• Vijay Mali
Hi Nikhil,

I could able to open the geometry now. I will start with question "Are you sure that you want to do CFD analysis on this geometry ?". This geometry is really complex. I am very sure, it is the actual CAD model of disc break. I don't think, you need to do CFD analysis on actual geometry. It contains so many complicated (and not necessary parts) and will make cell count really huge. One of the example is "Stamping on the disc" (as shown in figure below).

complicated-geometry.jpg

Are you really sure, you want to capture this stamping in CFD analysis ? I think, you need to clean the geometry and consider only those parts and features which are important for the physics you want to capture.

So first, please cleanup the model (based on the physics) and then shown us the clean model. Then you can think about how to mesh this model.

Thanks
Vijay Mali
LearnCAx
www.learncax.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikhil kuttamath

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 1 week ago #14

www.dropbox.com/s/a0063cpj1wwf5x4/straig...w%20domain2.tin?dl=0

sir,
please check this repaired geometry.whether i can consider this whole as a fluid domain.

meshing of ventilated disc brake in ICEM CFD 3 years 5 days ago #15

sir,
i am in a big trouble with the meshing.I am doing tetra volume mesh.I couldn't get a quality mesh,some error has shown while computing the volume and prism meshing.I think sizes which i have given for the part mesh parameter was wrong.Help me to take a decision on the part mesh parameter size.

Browse Knowledge Base

Recommended By

Get Instant Updates

Subscribe to get instant updates about CFD courses, projects, blogs, webinars, software tutorials & CFD jobs

Search Knowledge Base

By Keyword

By Author

By Tag